New York. Sydney. London. Paris. Berlin. There are so many big cities to study in or just visit. No matter which one you choose, it’s important to stay safe while you are there. Thankfully, it’s easy to do! Gaining a little “street-smarts” (a term that means “knowing what’s going on around you”) can go a long way. Here are some simple tips you can try:
- Do thorough research – Know where you are going ahead of time and make sure to have directions with you at all times.
- Travel in groups – Bring a friend or a few friends along with you, instead of traveling alone.
- Sit in a busy area – When using public transportation, choose a train car that is occupied with other passengers or sit near the driver on a bus.
- Charge your phone – Check to ensure that your phone has plenty of battery life left before you go out.
- Stay alert – Be aware of what is going on around you as much as possible.
- Choose your route – Pick streets that are well-lit and occupied by other people.
- Carry very little money – Bring only a small amount of cash and a couple of credit cards.
- Look confident – Keep your head up and walk with a purpose.
- Get a taxi – Let a bus or car service get you back home or to your hotel if you happen to get lost.
Cities are exciting places, full of art, culture and great food choices. Preparing yourself for city life will help you stay safe while you focus on the sights around you.
The TOEFL® test can take you to many cities around the world. See for yourself by clicking on the Destination Search.