Make new friends. Meet valuable business connections. Anything is possible when you study abroad! Here are some quick tips for meeting new people in a foreign country.
- Practice starting conversations. You could start by asking a question: It shows that you’re curious and interested in learning what someone else has to say. Or share a fact about yourself or something that interests you—it will often be interesting to other people as well.
- Speak the language. When meeting people from a different country, try to speak their native language as much as you can. All the more reason to practice your English skills and complete the TOEFL® test if you’re planning a trip to one of the many English-speaking countries around the world!
- Join a student organization. Look into clubs and organizations at your school. It’s a great way to meet people who share similar interests.
- Explore social networks. In addition to meeting people online, networking communities often offer social groups, activities and events so you can meet people near you.
- Don’t get discouraged. Making new friends takes time and not everyone you meet will be a long-lasting connection. Take it as a learning experience and never stop trying!
The people you meet are often the most interesting part of studying abroad. Make the most of it and meet as many new people as you can!